To create a cohesive and practical approach to learning we have developed the following:
- Our farmers’ markets have developed into twice-yearly occasions where pupils make and market their produce;
- Competitions and challenges ensure that classes participate throughout the year;
- 12 hours per half term of dedicated curriculum time per year group is given to develop skills;
- All children learn basic gardening and sustainable food techniques, such as shucking potatoes!
- Each class has a mini allotment on school grounds, and an elected head gardener, whose responsibility it is to develop a planting plan and check at least monthly on their plot;
- We have a humanities lead responsible for this area of the curriculum;
- We keep chickens and teach children husbandry skills;
- Gardening clubs run as part of the extra-curricular provision.
Click here for details of the 'Food for Life' award.