To improve literacy skills for children from EAL and disadvantaged backgrounds, the following whole school actions are taken to support better understanding, particularly in vocabulary acquisition:
- A week of pre-learning activities, delivered by high quality LSA provision, take place before the start of a new topic to support children with vocabulary and key skills;
- We run Parent/Family learning courses;
- Sessions provided for parents to work alongside their child;
- After schools sessions where children read to an adult to support those who, for a variety of reasons, do not always have access to reading at home;
- All staff in the school are trained in hearing children read;
- ‘Golden ticket’ raffle for a book per week, for those children who have read to an adult four times in a week. This is supported by the PTA and the school to provide an element of incentive, to ensure children are given opportunities to read;
- All intervention strategies are bespoke, and supported by entry and exit data.