The strategy for closing the gap for disadvantaged children included:
- Using Pupil Premium funding, the appointment of an Achievement Leader contributed to monitoring and supporting outcomes for disadvantaged students;
- The post holder impacted upon: the participation of students in intervention and support initiatives; attendance and interaction with parents; positive mind-set behaviours;
- The achievement leader worked with parents to establish better working relationships between the school and the family;
- Where students were reluctant to attend, the leader supported by escorting students to class, signing planners and checking on homework etc.;
- This also involved direct liaison with subject leaders and class teachers to check on expectations, progress and outcomes;
- The creation of a boys' target group to focus on particular outcomes.