A focus on closing the gaps in Literacy and Numeracy was embedded using the following strategies:
- Two literacy and numeracy coordinators have been appointed to ensure the consistency of delivery, support and challenge;
- Interventions for disadvantaged students are provided from 8am in the morning. These are run by teachers;
- We maintain overstaffing of teaching, in separate groups, for literacy and/or numeracy to support students that are falling behind;
- We carry out regular peer observations in literacy and numeracy lessons and interventions;
- Children are being encouraged, at all stages, to become independent learners and individuals, e.g. checking out their own library books;
- We use 'Accelerated Reader' to monitor and progress children’s reading experience.