Brooklands has implemented philosophy across the school as follows:
- Weekly discreet philosophy sessions of thirty minutes take place in every class;
- Philosophical inquiry questions are also interwoven across the curriculum, and children independently recognise the way in which philosophical approaches are used in a variety of subjects;
- We have invested in whole school training, with the support of ‘The Philosophy Man’ who visits regularly and supports implementation, resources and training.
- We now have five members of the teaching staff already achieving Level 1 certifications in Philosophy and a further three members due to achieve their level 1 certificates by the end of the summer term 2016;
- Whilst most of the philosophy teaching is around various methods of discussion, we also use games and other activities to embed questioning and enquiry skills;
- We focus on capturing philosophy after debate, rather than over-planning, to enable us to evaluate and reflect on attitudes to philosophy. Whilst some big questions are planned for within the curriculum, they are mentioned, rather than developed in detail, and the outcomes recorded.