We implemented changes to our teaching and learning to include:
- We have rethought our curriculum, and the structures we use to deliver it, to consider at all times the pedagogy of teaching. To that end, we have used a variety of toolkits to support children in thinking about learning;
- De Bono’s thinking hats are embedded across the school. We have actual hats of every colour displayed prominently in every classroom. They are pegged to the boards and staff wear them!
- Alongside this, we also use the growth mindset model, including training sessions for parents and staff;
- Three levels of challenge has been developed in every class, from reception to year six;
- We have sought to close the gap for disadvantaged children by employing academic mentors, who track and support our pupil premium children to engage with the appropriate curriculum at whatever is their entry point;
- Every teacher has a leadership responsibility for a subject and we have effectively applied UPS appraisal to extend opportunities for developing these skills;
- Accurate formative assessment is the key to planning for good teaching. To that end, three staff have been encouraged to be county moderators, which supports the accuracy integrity of assessment.