The ‘First Lego League’ is a global science and technology challenge to encourage an interest in real world issues and develop key skills:
- The pupils work together to explore a given topic and to design, build and program an autonomous robot to solve a series of missions;
- The challenge changes from year to year – this year it was based on recycling;
- The challenge involves a robot game and a research project, and pupils demonstrate their understanding of selected core values throughout all their work;
- Teams have twelve to sixteen weeks to work on the challenge before they compete in their chosen Regional Tournament. This extends into a class project around the key theme and core values;
- Through the project, pupils learn more about the science and engineering behind the challenge theme. The team identify a problem related to the theme, research the issues and propose a solution, leading to a presentation at the tournament;
- At the tournament each team will score points on the robot game, which involves a series of challenges that the team have to programme.