We looked again at our teaching of writing and strengthened it to include:
- Improving the understanding of the writing process by TAs;
- Embedding, but adapting, the Big Writing process to support children’s learning and implement understanding of text cohesion;
- Planning explicitly for gaps in learning, particularly for vulnerable groups;
- Strengthening the use of peer to peer assessment to ensure that when used, it is effective;
- Focussing on the children’s response to marking through an activity of ‘uplevelling’, where children redraft work with a view to incorporating the advice, marking and teaching that week;
- High expectations in terms of the expectations of presentation, with ‘non-negotiable’ rules.