For several years now, children at Bawdsey have taken part in the Jaguar Maths In Motion competition:
- A national competition run by Jaguar cars and is a computer based maths and computing solving/strategy programme;
- The teams have to design a car that will race against other cars from different schools around the country;
- The maths includes: calculating angles and distances; volume of fuel needed; predicting which tyres to use depending on the weather, or when to make pit stops etc. All children practise these skills in class and we run extra-curricular classes nearer to the event;
- There are several heats, culminating in the national finals held at the Jaguar Heritage centre in Coventry.
- The top fifteen schools from three age categories are invited to send teams of four children to compete on the day. The teams are then left alone to programme their cars (no calculators allowed) for 90 minutes, and then the race is run live whilst they all get to watch.