It was important to ensure that the staff were on board with the changes needed, and to that end the senior leadership team planned and delivered a monitoring strategy:
- It was imperative that the leadership team built trust with teachers, to encourage a culture of the open door;
- Staff meetings, where the focus of monitoring was discussed, were tied together. Drop-ins to lessons were first developed to be a positive experience, with four or five positives being cited to one ‘even better if’;
- We needed to develop a ‘growth mindset’ approach with staff;
- We published a specific focus for learning walks and observations and stuck to the focus, with a bespoke coaching programme;
- In early years, Tapestry has been rolled out to better record children’s learning. This has been supported with a programme of training and information for parents. The team have incorporated aspects of the Emilio Reggio approach and we have also incorporated Maths Mastery into reception classes.