Our HLTAs run a programme of pre-teaching as follows:
- When a new topic is being introduced, some children that may possibly not keep up, are identified for sessions in advance of teaching the subject;
- The key vocabulary is taught, as well as key questions and skills;
- In the event of topic-based work, children are provided with some overall information which supports them to make links within the topic;
- Children are withdrawn at various times of the day for short periods of time, in small groups;
- The HLTA will ascertain need and release them back into class, depending on need;
- Pre-teaching is planned for when whole class planning is completed.