We have implemented the following strategies:
- Read, Write Inc. across the school.
- Teachers regularly filter phonics teaching into the school day.
- For the first 10 minutes of every afternoon, the entire school from Early Years to Year 6 takes part in reading activities in the classroom.
- A reward system is in place to support reading at home. When a child reads at home at least three times a week they receive a star on the class chart. A ‘book token’ is awarded to the class with the most reading stars. The class then choose a book which is purchased specifically for that class and a message is written inside from the Headteacher.
- Each class has a reading den, a cosy area for reading.
- Brooklands also has outdoor reading dens to encourage reading outside the classroom.
- Brooklands uses a programme called ‘Reading Eggs’ to support children’s learning through the use of technology.
- Parents are engaged through regular newsletter features on reading, termly Reading Cafés, volunteers to hear children read and through information sessions.