We have implemented the following:
- We developed links over time, gently bringing the two bodies together to collaborate through combined working parties and shared expertise;
- Lots of conversations and sharing took place outside meetings, to keep relationships running smoothly;
- We did not seek to change things too fast – we made sure that we carried people with us, which ensured that we carried knowledge and skills too;
- We were sensitive to the needs of both schools and our agendas started to reflect that;
- We planned in more meetings than we needed to ensure that we had sufficient time;
- We valued both Governing Bodies equally, taking what was best practice from each;
- We got to know governors on both bodies well so that we could play to the strengths of the team.
- The time we took to demonstrate how we could work together gave the Governing Bodies, staff and parents confidence when we consulted on moving to formal federation.