The school changed their approaches to behaviour and attendance in the following ways:
- We have expectations of behaviour that include maintaining children in class, rather than withdrawal, and stopped staffing for children that expected to be able to come out of the class;
- We have a strong policy which is heeded to at all times, creating firm systems which in turn provide high expectations for pupils;
- We manage attendance closely, with calls put through to class teachers or senior leaders. An attendance officer is on persistent absence cases;
- We regularly challenge ourselves in terms of the teaching and learning we provide, and staff have lots of responsibility for their own CPD to match the learning needs of the children in their care;
- We ceased writing support plans for managing behaviour, instead focussing the plans on learning needs. By doing this, we have shifted the focus on to teaching the skills of appropriate behaviour, rather than stopping negative behaviour.