Thirty Literacy Ambassadors are appointed from the sixth form to support students in Year Seven and Eight. The process:
- Applications are invited from sixth formers for the thirty places;
- The sixth form students, called Literacy Ambassadors, run two 30 minute sessions a week for five/six pupils in Years Seven or Eight;
- Pupils are identified from Pupil Premium, disadvantaged and other groups falling behind;
- The ambassadors go through a short training programme;
- Ambassadors have a pack of activities including vocabulary boosters, talk-for-writing activities etc.;
- These take place during morning enrichment sessions and are monitored by the Head of Department;
- Children attend around 20 sessions and the impact is measured through Accelerated Reader.