We have embedded the following:
- We put considerable effort into ensuring that our students follow the courses right for them. That means that we design our curriculum around their needs;
- We also spend a lot of time on the induction process during year 11, to ensure that students are fully aware of the content and demands of the courses they wish to follow, and understanding the study skills needed;
- Our Year 13 students are involved in the interview process, to enable the younger students to get a student perspective of the courses they are interested in, to check that it is right for them. We also offer a series of taster days to ensure that they are comfortable with their choices;
- We do not have a ‘one size fits all’ approach to entry requirements – these are very specific based on the demands of the A Level courses and the fit with the GCSE, and we do not allow fear of losing a student to an alternative provider to compromise on this;
- Students therefore begin courses that they will succeed in;
- If a student is struggling in a subject, we will enable that student to retake a year whilst moving into Year 13 in the other subjects;
- Rather than drop a subject at the end of the first year, most of our students continue to take four A levels to maximise on UCAS points.