We have embedded the following:
- Reading corners that are exciting and personal to each class;
- Book displays that are interactive; for example, our current theme of woodland books in lower key stage two are displayed with six undressed Christmas trees and a selection of forest cuddly toys!
- We have a shelter in our nurture room that enables children to sit somewhere quiet and comfortable to calm down. The room is used by all children and is open for quiet space at break and lunchtimes;
- Our school is open to children all day – we do not restrict inside spaces and children respond well. The library is packed at break with children quietly reading and choosing books;
- We have a space for mindfulness, with advice displayed alongside plants and comfortable chairs;
- Children with particular needs have individual helpful signs to guide them around the building. The soundscape and soundfields support children with visual impairment to locate themselves;
- Marking is regular, and positive. The marking system is consistent across books and classrooms, so that children can transition easily;
- The school regularly runs homework competitions that engage parents in the projects, and contribute to the school environment, such as bug houses etc.